Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why Do You Want To Live?


Imagine being asked that question by a doctor - "Why do you want to live?"  Well an Irishman had to answer that question as his doctor, it seems, was trying to persuade him to give up the ghost, literally.  Not always a fan of the Irish Times, I must say kudos must go to "Madam" and her paper for covering the story of Simon Fitzmaurice who suffers from Motor Neurone Disease.  Read the article here.  I love the answer Simon gave to the doctor:
"They ask me why I want to live and the answer is the same as given by “mostly-dead” Westley in The Princess Bride, when replying to the question posed by Miracle Max, “What’s so important? What you got here that’s worth living for?” “Truue loove” is his response. That’s how I feel. Love for my wife. Love for my children. My friends, my family. Love for life in general. My love is undimmed, unbowed, unbroken. I want to live. Is that wrong? What gives a life meaning? What constitutes a meaningful life? What gives one life more value than another? Surely only the individual can hope to grasp the meaning of his or her life. If not asked if they want to live, it negates that meaning."
Every life is precious: that is a message the advocates of euthanasia and abortion need to learn.  They need to read what this man has to say in the article and rethink their "compassion".

I think this article is timely as Ireland seems to be running to bring in abortion and euthanasia, I also think it is great because instead of people on both sides of argument debating,we are listening to the person's whose life was in question.

For more coverage of this story see LifeSiteNews

No comments:

Post a Comment