Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

All Of A Flutter.....


It seems our MEPs and others are getting themselves in a dreadful flutter, literally, following the remarks made by an EU commissioner concerning the Irish flag.  German Gunter Oettinger has suggested that the Irish tricolour, and the flags of other indebted nations, should be flown at half-mast to symbolise the financial state of their economies and as a deterrent.  Some are calling for his resignation.

I have to smile.  Our MEPs are irate at the insult to our flag and, I presume, the sovereignty it symbolises.  Well, friends, we have no sovereignty - we are owned by the EU and the IMF.  And why so angry?  Our Taoiseach defamed the Pope and misrepresented the Holy See in the Dail: surely if we can hand it out, we can take it too?  It seems not.  Interesting that the suggestion has come from a German: my sources tell me the Germans are not impressed with what the Irish have said about "their Pope".  As regards resignations, why should Herr Oettinger  resign when people who have said and done worse in Ireland are allowed stay where they are? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that the Americans, in their committment to democracy and free speech, allow the burning of the Stars and Stripes in legitimate protest - could be something we might consider here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment