Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Sainthood


Following on from my post on the revival of acclamation of saints in the Church, here is an excellent article by Ashley Samuelson McGuire on Shahbaz Bhatti and the stuff of saints.  I particularly like the opening paragraph which sums up what I have been preaching for the last seven years:
It wasn’t something in their DNA that made Pope John Paul II, Mother Teresa, and St. Francis of Assisi special. Their humanity was the same as everyone else’s. It was what they did with it that made them holy. And this should remind us that we are all the stuff of saints.
Few seem to take me seriously whenever I say this.  I have heard there is now a crisis of saints - people do not believe that they are called to be saints.  Ironically this disbelief exists alongside an attitude of presumption whereby people believe that everyone who dies is already in heaven.  Strange times indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment