Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

AMEN!



As expected, the Holy Father has approved the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Pope John Paul II, and has announced that his beatification will take place on the 1st May, Divine Mercy Sunday.  Alleluia!

The blogs are gushing with the news.  I was informed by a text message from a friend of mine while I was picking up my family in Dublin - they are coming up to Belfast for my profession tomorrow.  So this weekend is indeed a blessed one!

You probably have all this, but just in case: here is the text of the decree of Beatification, a beautiful piece of writing.  Rome Reports has some nice features.    Damian Thompson has raised a question: is it not too soon?  But our beloved Fr Z (peace be upon him!) has the answer written with that wonderful eloquence which is his.   If anyone says to you: "It's too soon", just remind them that the legal work was all done (and done properly), God did his bit and gave us a miracle, it would not be just to delay the beatification just to fill in a few years.  Santo Subito - God agreed with the devotees in St Peter's Square on the day of the Pope's funeral.  That, my friends, was an expression of the sensus fidelium, and the Church tested it and found it to be authentic. 

We look forward to the ceremony, I do not think I will be able to go - Divine Mercy Sunday is important and I would like to mark it in a special way in my parish, my first year and all: I think Pope John Paul would prefer that.  But given his importance for the Fraternity, we will plan something special: stay tuned.  Then, the prayer begins for his canonisation: Santo Subito!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment